Val’s Crispy Garlic Dill Pickles
I actually got this recipe from a friend but have altered it a bit by ADDING MORE GARLIC! Because you can really never have too much garlic…
What you’ll need:
- 4 quarts Pickling Cucumbers (I got mine from Dan’s Farm)
- 8 flower heads of Fresh Dill
- 4 cups Vinegar (you can use pickling vinegar or regular, I used regular)
- 1 cup Sea Salt (or pickling salt, I used Sea Salt)
- 12 cups water
HOW TO MAKE….
- Scrub Cucumbers and put into a large pot.
- Cover with cold water and ice and let stand for 2 hours to crisp.
While you’re waiting for the cukes to crisp, make your vinegar (I didn’t take a photo of the vinegar because seriously, how boring of a photo would that be…..lol)
- Combine Vinegar, Water and Sea Salt into a medium sized pot
- Bring mixture to a boil.
Once the two hours has passed:
- Drain and prick cucumbers with fork in several places.
- Put one flower head and 2 cloves of garlic into each clean, sterilized jar.
- Fill in jar with cucumbers; don’t stuff too tight.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumbers
- Seal jar and sterilize again with a hot water bath
Leave jars of pickles untouched for at least 6 weeks before opening. (this may test your will power…)
Some notes to mention: Scrub your pickles well before you chill and can them….this is why:
Also, you should sterilize your jars if possible and I did a hot water bath for canning after. I found this recipe for REFRIGERATOR PICKLES…I think I will try this next. Just remember Refrigerator Pickles need to get eaten within a month.